1. Plant Capacity
As mentioned above, to meet the requirement of project specific parameters, a concrete plant of right capacity should be set up. This should take into account the mixture of various materials such as fly ash, plasticizer, retarder, air entraining agent etc. proposed for use in the mixture.
2. Multiple Mix Design Options
On completion of the projects a batching plant needs to be shifted from one site to another and different mix designs at different locations according to the strength and workability of the concrete and the quality of the locally available aggregate. are required to be followed.
3. Dynamics of the Concrete Plant
Plant mobility is considered depending on the location of the work site.
4. Automatic Control
Most of the activities in the operation of a batching plant should be under automatic control. Once instructions are given, the plant should be able to read and operate automatically. However, manual switchover options should also be available.
5. Mixer Type
The suggested criteria for the selection of mixers are as follows:
- total size
- easy to clean
- Difficulty replacing blades or parts
- Wear and tear sensitivity of the blade
- Mixer Capacity (Drum Size)
- Mixing Energy Required
- Mixer Capacity
- mixing time
- mixing method
- Location of construction site (distance from batching plant)
- amount of concrete required
6. Accurate weight batching of concrete material
The batching plant should have precise weighing batching system with electronic controls and calibrated gauges for measurement.
7. Feeding and Storage Mechanism
There should be a sufficient number of bins to feed aggregates of various sizes, including sand. Before commencing work, the contractor must draw up a plan to determine how he will produce and transport the mixture within the specified time frame. Care should be taken to have adequate storage facility for 2-3 working days for cement, feeding facility for coarse and fine aggregates, mixing of cement and other cemented material like fly ash.
8. SAFE OPERATION OF THE PLANT
The safety characteristics of the plant should be studied. Easy access, easy escape, protection from dust and fumes, proper insulation against shock are some of the essential features. The plant should be equipped with automatic emergency stoppage arrangement in case of emergency to avoid accidents on site.
9. Easy availability of spares
Sales is combined with service in today’s scenario. It should be ensured that parts are readily available for replacement when required. In addition, service and repair should be prompt. The track record of the company should be considered in this matter.
10. Minimal wear and tear
The components of the batching plant should undergo minimal wear and tear despite continuous use. The warranty period and clauses should be carefully examined.
11. Minimum Energy Consumption
This is another important factor to reduce the running expenses of the batching plant.
12. Minimum Maintenance Requirements
The batching plant should be able to withstand rough handling and demand minimal maintenance.
13. Low consumption of consumables
Apart from low power consumption, there should be less consumption of consumables such as oil to reduce the running expenses in the plant.
14. Noise Pollution:
The plant should make minimum noise during its operation.
15. Miscellaneous Requirements
- supplier’s delivery schedule
- Manufacturing and commissioning of equipment on site
- Training some of buyer’s operation and maintenance personnel
- Transportation of equipment from work to site, or the cost of which should be resolved
- transit insurance
- Tool kit availability
- Cost of consumables and unskilled labor
- Foundation Drawing Details
- Plumbing and water supply provision. (Pump installation may be required)
- Power supply connections and network cables for various equipment at desired ratings
16. Plant Establishment:
Whenever orders are placed for supply and installation of Concrete Batching and Mixing Plant to a firm, certain issues at site facilities should be sorted out at the time of placing the order so that no problems arise during the installation period.
IRC: SP – 96 – 2012