Most of the prestressed members are precast and therefore all advantages or precast concrete are also true for prestressed concrete. Click here to know the advantages of Precast Concrete.
In addition, prestressing is beneficial when conditions are favorable for its use.
The following additional benefits have been claimed due to prestressing when prestressed concrete is used.
- Structural members are reduced in size or dimensions, which can increase clearance or reduce floor height.
- This allows the use of large spans (over 30 m) with shallow members, even when heavy loads are encountered.
- Apart from the usual advantages, such as excellent fire resistance, low maintenance cost, elegance, high corrosion-resistance, adaptability etc., coveted concrete is found to sustain the effects of impact or shock and vibration.
- Due to the small load due to the use of smaller dimensions, there is a considerable saving cost of the supporting members and foundation.
- The prestressing technique eliminates the weakness of the concrete under stress and hence crack free members of the structure are obtained.
- Due to the use of better materials (i.e. controlled concrete and high tension steel) and minimizing the effects of dead loads, smaller deflections occur.
The following are the advantages of using prestressed concrete.
- The unit cost of the high strength material being used is high.
- Additional initial costs are incurred due to the use of prestressing equipment and its installation.
- There is also additional labor cost for prestressing.
- Prestressing is unprofitable for short duration and light loads.