Cement mortar is prepared by mixing cement and sand in a dry state and then adding required amount of water and mixing it well. The following procedure should be followed for preparing cement mortar by hand.
hand mixing of cement mortar
- Take a bag of cement, whose volume is about 0.035m. Is3,
- Then measure the required amount of dry sand using a box measure. The volume of a box is 0.035m. Is3, For example, if you’re making a 1:3 ratio of cement mortar (ie 1 part cement and 3 parts sand), take 3 cans of sand for one bag of cement.
- First spread the measured amount of sand on a water tight platform or on a steel pool.
- Spread the cement over the sand.
- Then dry them by turning them several times with a shovel, backwards and forwards, until the color of the mixture is uniform.
- Take out only enough of this dry cement and sand mixture that can be used within 30 minutes, and build it into a pile.
- Make a small pit at the top of the pile.
- In the middle of the pile, add required amount of water to give it the required consistency.
- Mix the entire mass well with the help of a shovel for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Water in the amount of 70% by weight of cement is sufficient to give the required consistency for a 1:3 mortar (ie grade M 7.5).