Steel must be stored in such a way as to avoid deformation and prevent degradation and corrosion. Steel of different classes should be stored separately. Follow the guidelines below when storing steel on site.
steel reinforcement storage
- To facilitate such size and length issues store the bars of different sections, sizes and lengths separately so as to reduce wastage in cutting from standard lengths.
- Paint the ends of each square’s bars in different colors.
- Coat steel reinforcement with cement wash before stacking to prevent scaling and corrosion.
- If the reinforcement bars are to be stored for a long period, stack it at least 150 mm above ground level.
structural steel storage
- Set aside separate areas for the storage of structural steel of different sections, sizes and lengths.
- Store it on platforms, skids or any other suitable support at least 150 mm above ground level to avoid deformation of the sections.
- In coastal areas or in case of long storage, apply a protective coating of primer to prevent scaling and corrosion.