Statue of Unity – The World’s Tallest Statue’s Structural and Construction Features | Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Statue : Statue of Unity location, height, cost, other facts
Sardar Patel Statue Of Unity Project
The Statue of Unity is a tribute to Sardar Patel’s life as a role model for unity and statesmanship. The world’s tallest statue is situated in a spectacularly scenic location, facing the 3.2-kilometer-long Sardar Sarovar Dam.
With the majestic Vindhyachal and Satpuda Mountain Ranges in the background, this colossal statue stands on the isle of Sadhu-Bet in the River Narmada, at Kevadia, District Rajpipla in the Indian state of Gujarat. The statue is quickly becoming one of the most popular tourist attractions in the country.
The Statue, which is intended to inspire future generations, depicts Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel’s vision of unity, patriotism, inclusive growth, and good governance.
|Coordinates||21.8380°N 73.7191°ECoordinates: 21.8380°N 73.7191°E|
|Location||Narmada Valley Kevadiya colony, Narmada district, Gujarat, India|
|Designer||Ram V. Sutar|
|Material||Steel framing, reinforced by concrete and brass coating, bronze cladding|
|Height||182 meters (597 ft)|
|Beginning date||31 October 2013|
|Completion date||30 October 2018|
|Opening date||31 October 2018|
|Dedicated to||Vallabhbhai Patel|
This monument to India’s doyen of integrity and honesty is well-designed to serve as a catalyst for tribal development in the Sardar Sarovar Dam area.
Several projects are being undertaken in conjunction with the Statue of Unity, including high-quality tourist facilities, excellent transportation infrastructure with good connectivity, healthcare and education infrastructure, and various tribal development initiatives.
Construction Of Statue Of Unity
The Statue of Unity was constructed over the course of 3.5 years, started in 2014 and actually ended in 2018.
It was constructed by a team of over 300 engineers and 3,400 workers who used 70,000 tonnes of cement, nearly 25,000 tonnes of steel, and 12,000 bronze panels weighing around 1,700 tonnes to cover the structure.
The Statue of Unity’s base is made up of 129 tonnes of scrap iron donated by nearly 100 million Indian farmers.
Information About Statue Of Unity
Designer Of Statue Of Unity
Ram Vanji Sutar, an Indian sculptor designed the Statue of Unity which is the world’s tallest statue with a height of 182 metres (597 feet).
Vallabhbhai Patel, one of the most prominent leaders of the Indian independence movement, was the country’s first home minister and first deputy prime minister, and was responsible for the integration of hundreds of princely states into the modern Republic of India.
A group of historians, artists, and academics studied statues of Patel across the country before settling on a design submitted by Indian sculptor Ram V. Sutar. The Statue of Unity is a much larger replica of the leader’s statue, which is located at Ahmedabad International Airport.
Ram Sutar’s son, Anil Sutar, comments on the design, saying, “The dignity, confidence, iron will, and kindness that his personality exudes are reflected in his expression, posture, and pose. As if he is about to walk, his head is raised, a shawl flung from his shoulders, and his hands are on the side “.
Location Of Statue Of Unity
The statue is located on Sadhu Island in Gujarat, on the Narmada River. The Statue of Unity, which stands 182-meters tall, dwarfs the Statue of Liberty in New York by more than twice its size and nearly four times the height of Christ the Redeemer in Brazil.
The number ‘182’ was purposefully chosen to represent Gujarat’s 182 Assembly constituencies. The project’s total cost is estimated to be Rs 2,989 crores. The height would be 237.35 metres from sea level, with the 70-meter hillock of Sadhu Bet flattened to 55 metres to lay the foundation.
Strength Of Statue Of Unity
The Statue of Unity is made up of three layers and can withstand earthquakes and high winds.
The statue is designed to withstand wind speeds of up to 60 metres per second as well as earthquakes with a magnitude of less than 6.5 on the Richter scale.
A natural ageing process will cause the Statue of Unity to change colour from bronze to green in 100 years.
Statue of Unity Monument Complex
The Statue of Unity monument complex is 20,000 square metres in size and is encircled by a small man-made lake.
With the beautiful Vindhya and Satpura mountain ranges on both sides, the monument is situated next to the mighty Narmada and the Sardar Sarovar Dam.
At a height of 193 metres above sea level, the Statue of Unity has a viewing gallery that can accommodate 200 people at a time.
The Statue of Unity also houses a museum dedicated to the life of Iron Man Sardar Patel, which houses 2000 photographs, 40000 documents, video presentations, a research centre, and more.
Statue Of Unity Facts
- The Statue of Unity depicts Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel (1875–1950), a leading figure in the nonviolent Indian Independence Movement and the first Deputy Prime Minister/ Home Minister of Independent India.
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel is highly respected for his leadership in uniting the 562 princely states of India to form the Union of India.
- The Statue of Unity is the world’s tallest statue, with a height of 182 metres (597 feet) which is almost double the height of the Statue of Liberty, USA.
- The Statue of Unity has a viewing gallery at 135 metres, which can accommodate up to 200 visitors at a time and offers an expansive view of the dam and the surrounding beautiful mountain ranges of Satpuda and Vindhyachal.
- The Statue of Unity was built in just 46 months.
- Statue of Unity is capable of withstanding wind velocity up to 50 metre/second (180 kilometre/hour speeds) and vibration. The statue has been designed for seismic Zone IV as an earthquake resistant structure.
- 70,000 metric tonnes of cement was used in the construction of Statue of Unity.
- 6,000 metric tonnes of structural steel and 18,500 metric tonnes of reinforcement bars were used to build the Statue of Unity.
- The thickness of the bronze cladding on the Statue is 8 mm.
- The diameter of the button on the vest of the Statue is 1.1 metre.
- The height of the toe of the Statue of Unity measures 3.6 metre.
What Is The Height Of Statue Of Unity?
The Statue of Unity is the world’s tallest statue, with a height of 182 metres (597 feet).