Hydrographic Surveying – Methods, Applications and Uses | The survey of physical characteristics present underwater is hydrographic surveying or bathymetric surveying. It is the technique of measuring all underwater variables that affect all marine activities, such as dredging, marine infrastructure, offshore drilling, etc.
Hydrographic Surveying – Methods, Applications and Uses
Hydrographic survey is the science of measuring and describing features that affect maritime navigation, underwater construction, dredging, discovery of offshore oil/offshore oil drilling and related activities.
There is a heavy focus on soundings, shorelines, tides, waves, seabed and underwater obstructions relevant to the activities previously described.
The term hydrography is used synonymously to describe maritime cartography, which uses the raw data gathered through hydrographic survey in the final stages of the hydrographic process to provide information that can be used by the end user.
The information gathered from hydrographic surveying is required to create nautical charts that include,
- Available depths
- Improved Channels
- The aids to navigation harbor facility
These surveys also take part in the required collection of data concerning the design and creation of port facilities, such as the construction of piers. This helps to detect the loss of energy because of silt and many uncertainties.
Applications of Hydrographic Surveying
The applications of Hydrographic surveying include:
- Dock and Harbour Engineering
- River Works
- Land Reclamation
- Water Power
- Flood Control
- Sewage Disposal
Uses Of Hydrographic Surveying
For nautical charting, dredging, and navigation protection, accurate hydrographic data is important. Single-beam hydrographic surveying has been the main tool used for mapping the seafloor for most of the last 50 years.
Uses of hydrographic surveying are given below:
- Depth of the bed can be determined
- Locate sewer fall by measuring direct currents
- Locating mean sea level
- Massive structures like bridges, dams harbors are planned
- Navigation Chart Preparation
- River and stream discharge measurement
- Scouring, silting and irregularities of the bed can be identified
- Shore lines can be determined
- Tide measurement
For the collection of seafloor topography data, it is an accurate and relatively simple technique.
Hydrographic Surveying Video in English
Check Services from McKim & Creed (https://www.mckimcreed.com/what-we-do/services/geomatics-services/hydrographic-surveying/)
- Civil Engineer Job Description - January 15, 2021
- 2021 Updated List of Top Civil Engineering Companies - January 15, 2021
- 25+ Evergreen and Best Job For Civil Engineer In India - January 15, 2021